Because of persistent public health efforts in the USA (especially due to treatment of latent TB infection and directly observed therapy for active TB disease), the rate of TB disease and deaths have been declining to its lowest point ever!
Yet, worldwide, the disease is reaching epidemic proportions. The rates and numbers of new infections and cases of active disease are on the rise.
- About 2 - 3 million people die from TB every year.
- More than 8 million develop active TB disease each year.
- One-third of the world's population is currently infected with TB bacillus.
- Someone gets sick from TB every 4 seconds.
- Someone dies of TB every 10 seconds.
- Left untreated, a person with active TB disease can infect 10 to 15 people every year.
- In USA, about 50% of TB cases are among the foreign-born.
- TB and HIV are increasing together - HIV activates TB infection.