mobileCommunity Calendar Broome A to Z Economic Development Community Calendar

Fire Prevention and Carbon Monoxide Safety

With chilly temperatures on the way, fire resulting from equipment used to heat homes becomes a concern. The Broome County Office of Emergency Services would like you to keep in mind the following.

Carbon Monoxide Safety:
• Do not use ovens or stoves to heat your home.
• Have a licensed professional inspect heating systems and other fuel-burning appliances after being flooded.
• Do not use unvented gas or kerosene space heaters in enclosed spaces. Keep doors open to the rest of the house to help promote proper ventilation.
• Do not run a fuel-powered engine, such as a generator or pump, inside the home , attached garage, or on a porch.
• Do not use charcoal or gas grills inside or operate outdoors near a window where CO fumes could seep in through a window or door.
Fire Prevention:
• Have your electrical system checked by a licensed professional after being flooded.
• Place space heaters on a hard, level and nonflammable surface, and keep them at least three feet away from bedding, drapes, furniture, and other flammable materials.
• Never refill an engine while running or inside.
• Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or before going to sleep.
• Do not use candles in places where they could be knocked over by children or pets.
• Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle.
Check the batteries in your smoke and CO alarms.

09/30/2011 - 10:06am