Town of Maine, NY - Broome County Executive Debbie Preston teamed up with County Commissioner of Aviation Carl Beardsley and Broome County Legislature Majority Leader Ronald Keibel to announce a major renovation project at the Greater Bi
The $750,000 project will improve the look at the airport, while making it more energy friendly.
“The Greater Binghamton Airport is sometimes the first impression people get of our County,” says Broome County Executive Debbie Preston. “We need to upgrade several things that have not been changed since a renovation project in the 1990s.”
The project includes the upgrade of the current flight information display system, not only in the airport terminal building but also on the airport’s website, flybgm.com.
“The current system is old, sometimes unreliable and needs to be updated manually,” says Commissioner of Aviation Carl Beardsley. “Using the latest technology, the new system will keep travelers informed with the latest data that is updated automatically. Weather information will also be available on the new system.”
Renovations to the terminal building are also taking place, including:
- Replacing Carpets in terminal and repainting building
- Replacing the floor, counters, wall coverings and ceiling in restrooms
- Replacing commodes/urinals with auto flush units
- Replacing sinks, faucets and hand dryers with touchless operating systems
- Replacing restroom lighting with more modern, energy efficient lights
- Redesigning screening checkpoint, including new curtains and benches
- New trash cans and recycling containers outside, covered with marketing messages.
“We feel these renovations are not only necessary, but will also better meet the needs of the 200,000 passengers that come and go through the doors each year,”
"I'm pleased to join County Executive Preston in announcing these much needed improvements,” says Broome County Legislator Ron Keibel. “As a member of the Airport Advisory Board, I, as do the other Board members, support the improvements ensuring that Broome County has a state of the art airport for its residents and to welcome people to our area. I applaud Commissioner Beardsley and his staff for the great work they do at the Greater Binghamton Airport."
The renovation project is expected to be finished by the end of April.