BINGHAMTON, NY– According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among children ages 2 to 14, due in large part to the nonuse or improper use of child safety seats and seat belts. In Broome County, over 60% of the child safety seats that are inspected by Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians are used or installed incorrectly.
The Broome County Sheriff’s Office and the Broome County Traffic Safety Program have partnered together to provide free child safety seat inspections, education, and guidance to families and caregivers by Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians. Inspections are by appointment only. To make an appointment or to see if you meet the guidelines to receive a free child safety seat through the low income distribution program, contact Christine Muss at the Broome County Health Department at 607.778.2807.
Eligibility Requirements for a Free Car Seat:
- Must provide a WIC ID, DSS ID or a referral letter from an organization stating you receive public assistance.
- Must provide a valid driver’s license.
- Must be the parent or legal guardian of the child receiving the seat.
- Must arrive with the vehicle that the seat will remain in. (Car seats will not be distributed to those that arrive in a cab or on a bus.)
- Child receiving seat must be present at the time of the appointment.
- Must bring their vehicle owner’s manual.
Expectant parents should call at least one month prior to their child’s due date to set up a car seat appointment. Without sufficient notice, there is no guarantee that you will be able to receive a car seat before your baby arrives or have it installed by a Child Safety Seat Technician.
Car Seat Inspection Guidelines:
- Bring the child safety seat owner’s manual.
- Bring the vehicle owner’s manual.
- Bring your child (if possible).
- Have the back seat area of your vehicle cleared out as much as possible.
Inspections take place at the Broome County Sheriff’s Office, 155 Lt. Van Winkle Drive, Binghamton, at the “Fitting Station” located in the garage area. Call 607.778.2807 today to schedule an appointment for an upcoming clinic. (Dates and times of fitting station are subject to change so please call to confirm.)
06/23/09 - 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
07/07/09 - 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
07/21/09 - 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
08/04/09 - 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
08/18/09 - 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
09/15/09 - 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.