Nathaniel Cole Park is named after a Revolutionary War veteran who settled with his family in 1795 in an area that eventually came to be called Cole's Hill. Together with his son, Nathaniel Cole, Jr., he built a tavern on the corner of what is now Farm-To-Market Road and Watrous Road. The tavern, in operation as early as 1800, became a stopping place for the stage coach en route from Binghamton to Albany. Part of the land once owned by Nathaniel Cole now comprises the Broome County Park that bears his name.
Cole Park boasts a beautiful 53-acre lake and twin arcs of white sand, the largest protected beach in the county system. There are two picnicking areas and all the amenities necessary to make Nathaniel Cole one of our finest parks.
For more information, call 607.693.1389
Find us on facebook!
- Open and shaded areas
- Tables and grills
- Water taps and fountains
- Sand Volleyball
- Playground equipment
- Horseshoe pits
- Four picnic shelters, 100 person capacity, available by reservation - call 607.778.2193. Shelter rental rates are $90.00 on weekends/holidays and $30.00 on weekdays.
- Food Concession
Swimming: Memorial Day weekend - Labor Day
- White sand beach; 11:00am - 7:30pm (hours may vary)
- Certified lifeguards
- Changing areas with showers
- Coin operated lockers
- No private boats are allowed on Nathaniel Cole Lake. (Private boats may be launched at Dorchester Park or Grippen Park)
- Rental boats are available from 11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day (hours may vary).
|Boat||Deposit||Per Hour||Per Day|
|*Senior Citizen/Veteran Rowboats||$5.00||$3.00||$10.00|
*Senior Citizen (62 years old+)/Veteran rates apply Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). Veteran must present the Broome County Veteran ID card to receive discount. More information may be found here.
- Fish for small mouth bass and panfish from the shore or from rented boats
Self-Guided Nature Trail
- Circle the lake on 1.5 miles of scenic trail that offers beautiful views of the lake.
Cole Park Nature Trail Guide (pdf, 1260KB)
Youth Group Camping
- Group camping, by organized youth groups, (e.g. church youth groups, schools, YMCA, YWCA, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts) is permitted.
- Groups must secure a permit at least one week prior to the date requested.
- Please call 607.778.2193 to request additional information or a permit.
Directions to Nathaniel Cole Park