mobileCommunity Calendar Broome A to Z Economic Development Community Calendar

Register for STAR Program

Preston Reminds Homeowners To Sign Up For STAR Tax Relief

 

Binghamton, NY – Broome County Executive Debbie Preston reminded people to sign up for the New York State STAR tax rebate.

 

“We feel it’s important to remind people that the deadline to register is right around the corner,” says Broome County Executive Debbie Preston. “STAR can save taxpayers hundreds of dollars, which is incredibly important in these tough economic times.”

 

New legislation in place this year requires all homeowners to register for their STAR Tax Rebate for 2014. 

 

The deadline is December 31st, but if you miss that, you won’t be shut out.

 

The state tax department yesterday said it will allow people to sign up through March of 2014.

 

Taxpayers are eligible to apply if their household makes less than $500,000.  The tax break would be applied to owner occupied primary residences.

 

81 percent of people eligible to receive the tax credit in Broome County have applied, but that leaves 19 percent to still register.

 

Signing up for the tax break is easy.  Taxpayers should have received a card in the mail with a code unique to them.  All they have to do is go to www.tax.ny.gov and fill out a simple form and submit it.  If they don’t have internet access, they can call (518) 457-2036.

 

STAR is a $3.5 billion dollar a year state program that provides taxpayers an average annual credit of $700 on their school tax bill.

 

STAR exemptions only apply to school district taxes.

 

###

12/13/2013 - 11:24am