In-person car seat appointments have resumed. Appropriate PPE must be worn and social distancing must be followed during your appointment. Be prepared to assist in installing your own seat as technicians will primarily be verbally instructing you. If you would prefer a virtual inspection through either Facetime, Zoom or Skype, please call 607-778-2807.
Did you know that car crashes are the leading cause of death for children between the ages of 1 and 13? Correctly used child safety seat can reduce the risk of death by as much as 71% and yet only 17% of car seats in Broome County are being used correctly. Our Child Passenger Safety Program is designed to help educate parents and caregivers about how to safely transport their children and reduce the chance of misuse.
Child Passenger Safety Awareness Programs:
Education is key!
- We provide presentations for parents and caregivers on best practice guidelines, New York State laws and current child passenger safety recommendations.
- We also provide child passenger safety awareness trainings for community agencies who provide services to families and caregivers and/or transport children.
- Interested in becoming a Nationally Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician? We offer at least two trainings per year in our region for those interested in becoming a trained technician.
Child Passenger Safety Education and Distribution Program:
Parents and caregivers may be eligible to receive a free child safety seat through our Education and Distribution Program.
- Must be receiving public assistance through either WIC, DSS and/or Medicaid.
- Must attend a 1 hour Child Passenger Safety Class. Classes are held twice a month at the Broome County Health Department. You must bring proof of services (WIC or Medicaid ID card) Update: This class is now available online. You must watch the video provided by the Program Coordinator and complete a 10-question survey.
- Must participate in the Hands-On Training. This is a separate appointment where you will receive your free seat and demonstrate proper installation and harnessing. You must bring your vehicle and child receiving the seat. The Hands-On Trainings are held at three different locations: Broome County Sheriff's Office, Union Volunteer Emergency Squad and Endicott Fire Department. Update: Appropriate PPE must be worn and social distancing must be maintained through your entire appointment.
Please note we cannot always accommodate "last minute" or "emergency situations," so be sure to give us ample time to schedule your appointments.
To sign up for this program: please call (607)778-2807
Need help with a car seat installation or want to make sure your child is safely in the car seat? Make an appointment at any of our local fitting station. Certified technicians can help you determine if you have the right car seat based on your child's age, weight and height, that it is properly installed in the vehicle using either the LATCH or seat belt system and that the child is properly harnessed. If you would prefer a virtual inspection through either Facetime, Zoom or Skype, please call 607-778-2807. Virtual inspections are not available at every Fitting Station.
By appointment only!
3701 Vestal Parkway East, Suite 9, Vestal
Binghamton Police Department
38 Hawley Street, Binghamton
Broome County Health Department
Located at the Broome County Sheriff's Office in the upper garage
155 Lt. Van Winkle Drive, Binghamton
Endicott Fire Department
224 Madison Avenue, Endicott
Union Volunteer Emergency Squad
8 South Avenue B, Endwell
(607) 754-3414 ext. 223 or visit http://www.unionems.com/
Vestal Police Department
605 Vestal Parkway West, Vestal
(607) 754-2386 ext 481
New York State Police
Child Safety Seat Check Events:
During a child safety seat check event, Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians are available to help families and caregivers with their child passenger safety needs, similar to our Fitting Stations. However, no appointment is necessary. Participants are assisted on a first come, first served basis.
When attending an event, be sure to bring:
- Your child
- You child safety seat
- Your vehicle
- Child safety seat and vehicle owners manuals, if available
National Seat Check Saturday
Child Safety Seat Check Event
Saturday, September 26th, 2020
9AM-12PM, by appointment only.
Endicott Fire Department
224 Madison Avenue, Endicott
Child passenger safety technicians will be offering free individual car seat checks.
All CDC guidelines will be followed including wearing a mask, hand sanitizing and social distancing.
To schedule an appointment or for more details call 607-778-2807 or
email Christine.Muss@BroomeCounty.US by NOON on September 25th.
Click here for our event flyer.
New York State Law:
All children must use an appropriate child restraint until their 8th birthday. A seat belt is not an appropriate child restraint.
NEW: All children must ride in a rear-facing seat until at least age 2 .
Did you know?
- Car seats expire? Generally car seats are good for at least 6 years from the date they were manufactured. Always check the stickers and in the manual for the expiration date.
- Always read the manual for the car seat AND the manual for the vehicle before attempting to install your seat. Follow the manufacturer's instructions. If you are unsure about your installation, contact a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician.
- Do not modify your seat. Modifications can compromise the safety of the seat and it may not perform well in a crash.
- Once your seat is installed by either the seat belt system or the LATCH system, it should be tight enough so it does not move more than 1" from side-to-side or from front-to-back.