(BINGHAMTON, NY) Broome County and Visit Binghamton are excited to highlight the historic, cultural and natural resources of the Susquehanna Heritage Area during the Spring 2021 Path Through History Weekend (PTHW) with in-person and virtual events at various locations being held June 19th and 20th.
Path Through History Weekends are a showcase of New York State’s rich and fascinating history and feature events at historic and cultural destinations throughout the state. Broome County has participated in PTHW since 2011. The participating sites picked the “Sharing Our Stories” theme several years ago and it has remained the local theme every PTHW.
Local events extend across Broome County from the Town of Maine to the City of Binghamton with each site celebrating local history and sharing stories in their own unique way for residents and visitors to enjoy. PTHW is a great way for people to learn about the rich history of the community and the contributions of the community, showcasing the wonderful places to visit in Broome County.
In 2021 participating locations (*asterisk indicates virtual event):
- Phelps Mansion Museum: Learn about the life and work of 19th Century local cabinet maker Orville F. Ronk, as well as explore the beautiful Victorian Mansion
- Broome County Arts Council: Sculpture & mural tour*
- Roberson Museum and Science Center: Tour the historic home of Alonso Roberson and see an original Link organ; view digital planetarium shows (in-person and virtual options available)
- Bundy Museum of History & Art: Visit the historic residence of Harlow Bundy, now home to numerous local historical exhibits and pieces of art
- Kilmer Mansion: Guided tours, documentary on Kilmer’s Kentucky Derby-winning horse Exterminator, and speak with Willis Sharpe Kilmer himself!
- Ross Park, Ross Park Zoo & Discovery Center of the Southern Tier: Rediscover Binghamton’s oldest park and America’s fifth-oldest zoo and learn about its history; explore the interactive exhibits at Discovery Center & Story Garden
- Castle on the Hill: Guided virtual photo tour with Broome County Historian Roger Luther*
- Vestal Museum: Empty the Inkpots: History of American Typewriters
- Pitcher’s Mill & NYS Rt. 26: See the places and meet the people from the Town of Maine’s history*
- Broome County Carousels: Recreation Park Carousel, Ross Park Carousel, CFJ Park Carousel, George W. Johnson Park Carousel, West Endicott Park Carousel, and Highland Park Carousel
Visit www.goalloutbroome.com/pthw for a detailed list of locations and events, an interactive map, and all COVID-19 protocols in place for PTHW participants.