Age-Friendly Communities make a commitment to actively work together toward being a great place to live for people of all ages by engaging citizens, professionals, and government in finding creative, workable solutions to community needs. The Broome Age-Friendly Project was initiated in 2018 to support planning activities with the goal of making Broome County a great place to live for people of all ages. For more information please review the Broome Age-Friendly Project Brochure.
To learn about the most pressing needs older adults face in our community a needs assessment was completed in 2019. Results of the 2019 Community survey of older adults can be found here: Age-Friendly Community Survey Data Report (2019). Following the needs assessment several workgroups met to work on defining areas of need and to work toward creating an Age-Friendly Action Plan. The Broome County Age-Friendly Action Plan was submitted to AARP and Broome County was certified by AARP as an age-friendly community in 2019. You can review the Broome County Age Friendly Action Plan here: Age-Friendly Action Plan - 2020. In 2021, the first update to the Age-Friendly Action plan was completed and provides information on the most current status of age-friendly goals, objectives and action steps. To review this update click here: Broome Age-Friendly Action Plan Update.
The Broome Age-Friendly Project hosted two events where information about age friendly communities and planning efforts were shared:
- September 14, 2018: Community Forum included a presentation by NY State Office for Aging Director Greg Olsen and Office for Aging Director Lisa Schuhle. Links to their presentations are below. A video from the Community Forum can be viewed here: New York State Office for Aging Director Greg Olsen
New York State Office for Aging Presentation
Broome County Office for Aging Presentation
- October 2, 2019: "Age-Friendly: Moving Forward and Expanding the Conversation" (click on the link to review the PowerPoint)
You can review these additional sources of information to learn more about Age-Friendly Communities and Age-Friendly practices and tips:
- Age-Friendly Communication Fact Sheet
- World Health Organization
- 8 Domains of Livability
- Where We Live: Communities For All Ages
- Aging with Grace: The Next Big Challenge for Urbanists
To learn more about the aging demographics for Broome County Municipalities please click on the links listed below.
On behalf of Broome County and the Broome County Office for Aging, we would like to thank our community and government partners for their support and participation in the Broome Age-Friendly Project. To see the full list of supporting community and government partners please click here.