FAQ for Residents

Do I need an appointment for HHW collections and is there a fee?

There is no fee to use the HHW facility. Residents do not need an appointment.  Just arrive on the collection day between 7:30am and 11:30am.

Businesses must call 607.763.4305 to make arrangements prior to bringing material up.

What do I do with automotive fluids?

There is a free residential drop off area for brake and transmission fluids, motor oil and antifreeze at the Broome County Landfill.

Oil can also be taken to a service station that performs oil changes for proper handling.

How do I dispose of medical waste?

Please refer to the Household Sharps, Medical Waste and Unwanted Medication guide for details.

How should I dispose of my old computer or other electronic equipment?

Electronics are acceptable at the HHW Facility. The electronics recycling page contains a listing of accepted items and program details.

Where is the HHW Facility?

Directions to the HHW Facility and hours of operation.  

Are dehumidifiers and air conditioners accepted?

Dehumidifiers and air conditioners are not accepted as part of the hazardous waste & electronics program. Freon/refrigerant units are accepted during regular landfill hours and there is a fee of $10 per unit.