Divorce Records


In New York State, divorce records are sealed for 100 years and are not available for public inspection. 

  • They can only be released to the Plaintiff, Defendant or their attorneys of record (if applicable).
  • Photo ID is required to view a divorce file.  
  • If you are not a party to the action, you will need to file a Motion requesting a Supreme Court Order authorizing the Broome County Clerk’s Office to release the records to you.

If you were divorced in Broome County and need to obtain a Certified Copy your Divorce Decree, please visit our office located at:

60 Hawley Street, 3rd Floor
Binghamton, NY 13901

  • No appointments necessary. 
  • The front counter is open to assist customers from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm.



You will need to bring valid government-issued photo ID in the same name that appears on your Divorce paperwork.

If you remarried or went back to a maiden name and no longer have photo ID in the name that you had at the time of the divorce, you must bring supplemental proof of the name change, such as a marriage license or a child’s birth certificate.



Yes!  Please send the Broome County Clerk a notarized letter requesting a Certified Copy of your Judgment of Divorce.

  • We charge a $5 search fee for each two-year period that we must search to locate your records.
  • If you know your Index Number (Ex. CA2018005432), please reference it.
  • Identify both parties of the divorce (Plaintiff and Defendant).
  • Include a phone number so we can contact you if we have any problems processing your request.
  • We will also need to call you to obtain your credit card information for payment. 
    • Do not include this information in your letter.
    • If you prefer to pay by check or money order, please call our office at (607) 778-2451 Ext. 6 so we can look up your Judgment of Divorce and calculate your fee.  Prices for Certified Copies vary based on the length of your Divorce Decree.
  • Your letter must be signed in front of a Notary Public.
  • Be sure to enclose a photocopy of your Driver’s License to prove that you are a party to the Divorce action.
    • If you remarried or went back to a maiden name and no longer have photo ID in the name that you had at the time of the divorce, you must send us supplemental proof of the name change, such as a marriage license or a child’s birth certificate.
  • Include a self-addressed stamped envelope so we can return the Certified Copy to you.



It depends on the type of record you’re requesting:

Divorce Decree or Judgment of Divorce:

  • Certified Copies are $5.20 up to 8 pages. 
  • If your Judgment of Divorce is more than 8 pages, it will cost $0.65 per additional page.
  • This is a legal document that’s signed by the Judge and outlines the basic facts of the divorce as well as the terms and conditions of child custody, child or spousal support, property division and so forth. 
  • A Divorce Decree is often needed for retirement purposes, to obtain a Passport, to change the name on your Driver’s License and for issues involving the Social Security Administration.
  • Because these records contain sensitive personal identifying information, they can only be released to the Plaintiff, Defendant and/or their attorneys of record for the divorce (if applicable).

Certificate of Divorce:

  • Certificates are $5 each
    • This document only contains the names of the Defendant and Plaintiff and the date that the Judgment of Divorce was filed in the Broome County Clerk’s Office. 
    • You do not have to be a party of the Divorce to obtain a Certificate of Divorce.
    • A Certificate will suffice in most legal proceedings in New York State (remarriages, City Court, Surrogate’s Court, etc.).

An additional $5 search fee applies to all written requests for documents.

Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check and credit card (Visa, Master Card or American Express).