Assistance Programs



Broome County Department of Social Services




The Assistance Programs Division is responsible for the administration of the benefits programs.  These include SNAP (formerly known as Food Stamps), Temporary Assistance, Medicaid, Home Energy Assistance Program and Welfare to Work 

You can find more information about these programs at:


Food Stamps or SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) is a federally funded program adminsitered by the Department of Social Services for the United States Department of Agriculture. The goal of the program is to provide a higher level of nutrition to income eligbile individuals and families by enhancing their ability to purchase food.  

Eligibility for the program is determined by financial criteria.  Those found eligible receive an EBT (electronic benefit card) which is scanned in any of 29 local grocery stores and farmers markets in Broome County.  

How to Apply for SNAP (Food Stamp) Benefits                         SNAP Eligibility      

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) website   

SNAP Nondiscrimination Statement

Applications, Forms and Information

Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)

SFSP was created to reduce the likelihood of nutritional risk for low income children during the months when schools are closed for summer recess by providing free meals at participating summer meal sites such as schools, parks, pools, recreation centers, camps, housing authorities and other neighborhood locations. Through SFSP, schools, governments and nonprofit organizations receive Federal and State funds to continue a child's physical and social development by providing meals during the summer with the number of meals and dates varying by site.

Growing Up Healthy Hotline at 1-800-522-5006


 All Kids and Teens are Welcome! For a Meal near You-

                Call 211 or TEXT "food" or "comida" to 877-877.  You will be provided with the closest open site data information.

 Locate the nearest open site with this on-line mapping tool:

When to Contact New York State EBT Customer Service. Call if:


You need your SNAP or cash account balance.
You have question or problems with your SNAP or cash account information.                                                                                                                                             
Your card is lost, stolen or damaged. 
You suspect that a transaction error occurred and you would like to file a claim.
You need information about using your benefit card or PIN.
Call toll free 1-888-328-6399 or on the Internet
Your call will be answered by an automated system.                                                                                                                                                           You will be guided through menu options to help direct your call.

 Community Resources:      First Call For Help       Choose My Plate  

If you have a question regarding your benefits or would like to contact a local SNAP (Food Stamp) representative, you may call us at                                

607-778-1100 or email us at:

Temporary Assistance

Is the cash component of the Assistance Programs.  Consumers receive a cash benefit either paid to them or to a vendor to pay for specific household needs.  Household compostion, resource and income levels will affect the amount of the shelter, heat, utility and other payments made for eligible families and individuals. 

Contact Number:  607.778.1100     Fax:  607.778.3007

If you are a non parent caregiver for a minor child, you may also be eligible for cash assistance.  Find more information at this link:   Non-Parent (Kinship) Caregiver Assistance.

NYS Kinship Navigator provides information, advocacy and community referrals for resources to those who are raising someone else's child.  The link to NYS Kinship Navigator is:<>




Medicaid is the program that enables indigent individuals in our community to obtain necessary medical care, services and supplies by assisting them with the payment for such services.  The increasing numbers of elderly in the community as well as federal and state policy changes have continue to drive Medicaid caseload increases in Broome County as well as the NY State of Health Benefit Exchange. 


Application Assistance 

No appointment required, walk-ins welcomed 

Business Hours:  Monday- Friday 8:00AM - 4:00PM.

Community Medicaid

Contact Number:  607.778.1100     Fax:  607.778.2779


Medicaid - Nursing Home/Chronic Care

Application Assistance
No appointment required, walk-ins welcomed. 

Business Hours:  Monday- Friday 8:00AM - 4:00PM

Contact Number:  607.778.2793.

Unit Description:  Determines Medicaid eligibility for Nursing Home and Spousal Long Term Home Health Care with Waivered Services for Spousal Impoverishment cases.



The Broome County Social Services Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is (607)778-1100. This is the Assistance Program’s Contact Center number. After you dial that number you press 8 to speak to someone in the HEAP unit M-F between the hours of 8am -4pm.

The emergency after-hours hotline number is 9-1-1. The Emergency Services Operator will direct your call.

The HEAP program is scheduled to open on November 13th this year. Below is a link to more information.


Welfare to Work (WTW)

Provides employment services including assessment, employment planning, job readiness classes, workfare, job placement, and case management for Temporary Assistance applicants and recipients.  

In addition to the services offered at our Main Street office, we also offer a Welfare to Work office located at 171 Front Street in Binghamton.  Co-located with the Broome County Office of Employment and Training, New York State Department of Labor and the Broome County Daycare Unit we strive to connect all Temporary Assistance applicants and recipients with employment opportunies to help them obtain and maintain self-sufficiency.

Clean Sweep: Helping Beautify Broome County link 


Contact Number for WTW-Main Street:  607.778.2633     Fax:  607.778.3007
Contact Number for WTW-Front St:  607.778.3096     Fax:  607.778.3705

2018-2019 Employment Plan


Broome County (BC) Community Resources: 

Child Abuse/Neglect 24 Hour State Hotline:  Toll free dial '1' & then...    800-342-3720