Hazardous Waste Facility
Household hazardous waste is unusable home and garden products, which contain hazardous chemicals. Some examples are pesticides, fertilizers, oil-based paints and thinners, cleaners, pool and hobby chemicals.
Improper disposal of household hazardous waste can pollute water resources, increase risks to human health safety and adversely affect sewage treatment.
Who Can Participate?
Broome and Tioga County residents can participate and only waste produced within these counties will be accepted. Businesses in Broome and Tioga counties who produce a small amount of hazardous waste may be eligible to participate. Residents are encouraged to print and complete the required confirmation letter prior to arriving at the designated collection.
** Tioga residents may use the facility only on designated collection days from April to November. For more info call 687-8274.
There is no charge to residents to use the hazardous waste facility on designated collection days. Broome County residents that bring hazardous waste & electronic material on a non-designated collection day will be charged $5.00.
Tioga County residents must bring material on the designated collection days.
- Household cleaners and floor care products
- Pesticides and fertilizers
- Oil paints, solvents, stains, polishes and varnishes
- Driveway sealers
- Pool and photography chemicals
- Gasoline and kerosene
- Propane Tanks
- Fluorescent bulbs, mercury, mercury containing devices
- Computers, monitors, printers, laptops
- Keyboards, radios, stereos, modems
- Televisions, VCRs, fax machines, microwaves
- Mobile phones, pagers
- Up to 3 TV's & 3 monitors per resident
Materials NOT Accepted [ Disposal Options ]
- Radioactive materials, smoke detectors
- Medical or infectious waste
- Explosives and shock sensitive materials (picric acid)
- Counter top appliances, telephones, answering machines and vacuums
Collection Dates & Hours
Hours are: 7:30am to 11:30am
2014 Designated Collection Dates
Sept. 3, 6 & 20
Oct. 1, 4 & 18
Nov. 1, 5 & 15
Dec. 3 & 13
2015 Designated Collection Dates
Jan. 7 & 17
Feb. 4 & 14
Mar. 4, 14 & 28
Apr. 1, 11 & 25
May 6, 9 & 30
June 3, 13 & 27
July 1, 11 & 25
Aug. 5, 8 & 22
Sept. 2, 12 & 26
Oct. 7, 10 & 24
Nov. 4, 7 & 21
Dec. 2 & 12
286 Knapp Road
Binghamton, NY 13902
Transport of Hazardous Waste
- Bring wastes in original or hand-labeled containers with caps and lids fully tightened. Never mix hazardous wastes together.
- Place wastes in sturdy boxes and place newspaper or cardboard between containers. Wrap leaking containers in newspaper and place in a plastic bag.
- Transport wastes as far from passengers as possible. Keep your vehicle well ventilated. Secure the load to prevent shifting during transport.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke while packing, transporting or dropping off hazardous waste.
- At the facility, remain in your car. Trained personnel will unload your vehicle.