*While the landfill and HHW program are still operating all landfill users are strongly encouraged to follow established NY COVID-19 guidelines and limit visiting the facility unless it is a necessity. *
Household Hazardous Waste
Household hazardous waste is unusable home and garden products, which contain hazardous chemicals. Some examples are pesticides, fertilizers, oil-based paints and thinners, cleaners, pool and hobby chemicals.
Improper disposal of household hazardous waste can pollute water resources, increase risks to human health safety and adversely affect sewage treatment.
Who Can Participate?
Broome and Tioga County household residents can participate and only hazardous waste produced within these counties will be accepted. Proof of residency is required.
Residents are encouraged to print and complete the required confirmation letter prior to arriving at the designated collection.
Tioga Confirmation Letter (Tioga residents may use the facility only on designated collection days from April to November.)
*Businesses in Broome or Tioga (includes Commercial Businesses, Institutions, Schools, Churches and Not-for-profits) are not part of the household program. Information can be found under Commercial Hazardous Waste
Cost for Residential Households
There is no charge for residential households to use the hazardous waste facility on designated collection days between the hours of 7:30am-11:30am. Broome County residential households that bring hazardous waste & electronic material on a non-designated collection day will be charged a $5.00 flat fee.
Tioga County residential households must bring material April through November on the designated collection days between the hours of 7:30am-11:30am.
- Household cleaners and floor care products
- Pesticides and fertilizers
- Oil paints, solvents, stains, polishes and varnishes
- Driveway sealers
- Pool and photography chemicals
- Gasoline, kerosene, oil, antifreeze
- Propane tanks, fire extinguishers
- Fluorescent light bulbs (all sizes)
- Mercury, mercury containing devices
- Computers, monitors, printers, laptops
- Keyboards, radios, stereos, modems
- Televisions, VCRs, fax machines, microwaves
- Mobile phones, pagers
- Up to 3 TV's & 3 monitors per resident
Materials NOT Accepted at the Hazardous Waste Facility [ Disposal Options ]
- NO dehumidifiers, air conditioners, freezers, refrigerators (Accepted during regular landfill hours; $10 fee)
- NO radioactive materials, smoke detectors
- NO medical or infectious waste
- NO explosives and shock-sensitive materials (picric acid)
- NO countertop appliances, telephones, answering machines and vacuums (SeE Landfill Guide)
Collection Dates and Hours
Hours are: 7:30am to 11:30am
2020 DESIGNATED DAYS -- Printable Schedule
Jan. 8 & 18
Feb. 5 & 15
Mar. 4,14 & 28
Apr. 1, 4 & 18
May 2, 6, 16 & 30
June 3, 13 & 27
July 1, 11 & 25
Aug. 5, 8 & 22
Sept. 2, 12 & 26
Oct. 7, 10 & 24
Nov. 4, 7 & 21
Dec. 2 & 19
Broome County Landfill
286 Knapp Road
Binghamton, NY 13902
Transport of Hazardous Waste
- Bring wastes in original or hand-labeled containers with caps and lids fully tightened. Never mix hazardous wastes together.
- Place wastes in sturdy boxes and place newspaper or cardboard between containers. Wrap leaking containers in newspaper and place in a plastic bag.
- Transport wastes as far from passengers as possible. Keep your vehicle well ventilated. Secure the load to prevent shifting during transport.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke while packing, transporting or dropping off hazardous waste.
- At the facility, remain in your car. Trained personnel will unload your vehicle.