Traffic Safety Program
What's New in Traffic Safety?
The Mirabito STOP-DWI Holiday Classic is a project of the Broome County STOP-DWI Program and Mirabito Energy Products to promote an anti-substance abuse and drunk-driving message to student athletes.
The Mirabito STOP-DWI Holiday Classic has gained national recognition as one of the best organized and uniquely focused high school athletic events in the United States. The event invites high school teams from across the United States to participate in this outstanding tournament.
The Mirabito STOP-DWI Holiday Classic is more than just top caliber basketball - it's an educational experience. The Mirabito STOP-DWI Holiday Classic uses basketball as a tool to create a unique and exciting learning experience for youth. Through involvement in the Holiday Classic high school athletes are encouraged to become leaders in the effort to deal with alcohol and substance abuse in their school and community.
For more information contact Chris Marion, Broome County STOP-DWI Coordinator, P.O. Box 1766, Binghamton, New York 13902, (w) 607.778.2056 (f) 607.778.2908.
Child Passenger Safety
Parents and caregivers may also be eligible to participate in the Free Child Safety Seat Distribution Program. Eligible clients must receive a car seat referral from a qualifying agency. Please contact individual program for specific details.
Broome County Health Department Fitting Station:
3rd Tuesday of the month, 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. by appointment only
Located at the Broome County Sheriff's Office
155 Lt. Van Winkle Drive, Binghamton
Please call Christine Muss at 607.778.2807 to schedule an appointment.
Endicott Police Department Fitting Station:
2nd & 4th Tuesday of the month by appointment only
Located at 1101 Park Street, Endicott
Please call Sgt. Laurie Sorensen at 607.754.2471 to schedule an appointment.
Union Volunteer Emergency Squad, Inc. Fitting Station
4th Wednesday of the month by appointment only
Located at 8 South Avenue B, Endwell
Please call Sharon Gumaer at 607.754-3414 ext. 223 to schedule an appointment.
Vestal Police Department Fitting Station
By appointment only
Located at 605 Vestal Parkway West, Vestal
Please call Officer Brian Thorick at 607.754.2111 to schedule an appointment.
New York State Police Fitting Station
By appointment only
Please call either 607.561-7605 or 607.775-1241 to schedule an appointment.
For additional details please check out our Child Passenger Safety Programs brochure.
Did you know?
- New York State requires children to be riding in an appropriate child restraint system until their 8th birthday.
- According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, children should ride rear-facing for as long as possible, until they exceed the weight and height limits of their seat. At a minimum, children should be age 2 before they ride forward-facing.
- In general, car seats expire after 6 years. Always check the date of manufacture.
- Do not modify your car seat. Modifications can compromise the safety of your child. Always read and follow the manufacturer's instructions in the manual and the stickers on the seat.
- The safest place to install a child safety seat is in the back seat in the middle position. Always read your vehicle's owners manual for specific instructions.
- Once your seat is installed by either using the seat belt system OR the LATCH system, it should be tight enough where it does not move more than 1 inch from side-to-side or from front-to-back at the belt path.