Prepare for Your Ride
- We will contact you with your pick up times.
- Please be ready to board 15 minutes before your scheduled pick up time.
- Pick up times are approximate.
- Traffic, weather, attending to other passengers and other unforeseen factors may affect bus arrival time.
- The bus may arrive as much as fifteen minutes after your scheduled pick up time without being considered late.
Where do I wait for the bus?
- Wait where you can see the bus coming.
- As the bus approaches, make yourself visible to the driver.
- The driver cannot go inside to get you.
- You must be able to get to and from the bus even if assisted by another person or service animal.
- Drivers cannot back up or put the bus in a position which may cause damage to the bus, surrounding property, compromise safety, or block roadways.
Board the Bus
Buses are step entrance with a handrail. You may also use the power lift located on the back of the bus.
Deposit your fare in the fare box. Drivers cannot make change.
BC Lift buses will transport any mobility device that fits on the bus without compromising safety, damaging the bus or obstructing the aisle in a way that would prevent other passengers from safely walking past the device. Specific questions can be answered by calling the B.C. Transit office at 607.763.4464.
For your safety:
- Riders in wheelchairs or similar mobility aides must be facing forward while the bus is in motion.
- Wheelchairs must be secured to the floor of the bus.
- We recommend wheelchair users use seatbelts or shoulder harnesses for additional safety.
Reasonable Modification Policy
The Department of Public Transportation will provide reasonable modification of policy and practice upon request to ensure that our transportation services are accessible to people with disabilities.
Requests for reasonable accommodations may be made in advance via the following ways:
- BC Lift application/BC Lift phone reservation system (If approved for the service).
- Our website using our customer service form.
- Write BC Transit:
413 Old Mill Rd
Vestal NY 13850
Attn: Lori Rolison, Director of Operations
More information can be found on the Federal Transit Administration website.
How long will my ride take?
The length of your ride mostly depends on where you want to go. The BC Lift will likely pick up other passengers along the way.
What happens when I reach my destination?
We will make reasonable efforts to get you to your destination at the time you requested. BC Lift drivers cannot back up or maneuver the bus in a way which may cause damage to the bus, surrounding property or compromise safety.
Use of a personal care attendant (PCA) or service animal must be noted on the application. When reserving your ride, please let us know your PCA will be riding with you. There is no additional charge for your PCA.
If you need assistance to ride, you will need to seek help from a personal care attendant. The driver cannot provide assistance beyond safely operating the power lift, and securing or releasing a wheel chair user on the bus.
If your situation changes after you are approved for use of the BC Lift, and you need a personal care attendant, call our office at 607.763.4464, option 3 and will update your information.
What if I miss my bus?
If you miss your scheduled pick up time, it will count as a "no show" and you should contact us as soon as possible. Three no shows in 30 day period may result in a 30 day suspension of service.
Travel training is available to learn more about using BC Lift, BC Transit fixed route bus system, and other travel options. Contact our Mobility Manager for more information.
Can I ask a question?
Contact us with any complaints or concerns. Every reasonable effort will be made to accommodate your transportation needs.
Many questions may be answered in our BC Transit Policy Manual.